21-Nov-12 8:00 AM  CST

The Dangers of Too Much Nutmeg

Consuming large amounts of the spice nutmeg can cause more harm than you may realize.  Overdosing on the holiday favorite may cause some unpleasant physical symptoms, emotional problems, and also interact with some medications.  Informing and educating pharmacy customers of consuming too much nutmeg can help them make better choices about holiday goodies that contain the spice and discourage them from getting high off of the spice.  Here’s a look at some of the havoc it can cause for a person’s system: 

  •  Those that choose to get high from the spice may experience gastrointestinal reactions such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.  Visual, auditory, or sensory hallucinations may also occur if the spice is misused. 
  • Using nutmeg as an experimental drug can lead to heart, lung, mental issues, and even death.  In addition, Pharmacy Technicians can advise parents and pharmacy customers of the dangers of using household items to get high. 

If accidental poisoning occurs or if a substance was used for improper purposes individuals should contact 911 or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.  So there is no harm in enjoying nutmeg in small doses this holiday season, but overusing it can lead to big time problems. 

Sources: 
Medline Plus Reports.  “Myristica Oil Poisoning.”  Medline Plus.  Web.  14 Nov 2012. 

Conley, Mikaela.  “Nutmeg Treated As Drug For Hallucinogenic High.”  ABC News. Web.  9 Dec 2010. 

For additional information on this article, please contact:
 
Jennifer S. O'Reilly
 
Source: NPTAnews  
http://www.pharmacytechnician.org

Tendenci™ User Home © 2004 Tendenci™ software by Schipul - "The Web Marketing Company" | www.schipul.com