Preventing Opioid Abuse
Date: 9/8/2020 - 9/8/2023
Contact Hours: 3.0
ACPE UAN: 0384-9999-20-105-H08-T
The National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for
Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Target Audience: Certified Pharmacy Technicians
This CPE activity has been designated as a knowledge-based program.
Author: Gregory Phillip, PharmD
Faculty Disclosures/Conflicts of Interest: Author declared no conflict of interest and all information is provided fairly and without bias. Author received no commercial/financial support for this activity and do not approve or endorse any commercial products displayed.
Goals & Objectives:
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
Understand epidemiology and the genesis of the opioid crisis.
- Discuss trends in opioid prescribing by specialties.
- List the types of opioids and their pharmacokinetics .
- Describe the effect of opioid pain medications on body & brain.
- Describe definitions of terms related to opioid abuse and misuse.
- Discuss commonly prescribed opioid and their side effects.
- Discuss opioid tolerance and withdrawals symptoms.
- Discuss pharmacologic agents used to treat opioid disorder (opioid antagonists.)
- Describe the risks of abuse and addiction associated with opioid medication.
- List the sources of misused prescription opioids.
- Discuss risk assessment tools for substance abuse.
- Review Prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) and impact of a mandatory PDMP on prescription opioid analgesics.
Release Date: 09/08/2020
Expiration Date: 09/08/2023