Contact Hours: 3.0
ACPE UAN: 0384-9999-21-102-H03-T
The National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for
Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Target Audience: Certified Pharmacy Technicians
This CPE activity has been designated as a knowledge-based program.
Author: Elvia Sellountos, Pharm D, RPh.
Faculty Disclosures/Conflicts of Interest: Author declared no conflict of interest and all information is provided fairly and without bias. Author received no commercial/financial support for this activity and does not approve or endorse any commercial products displayed.
Goals & Objectives:
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the role of the Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Define CMS Medicare/Medicaid Fraud, Waste and Abuse (FWA).
- Describe specific examples of FWA in the pharmacy.
- Identify the prominent government agencies responsible for combatting FWA.
- Discuss the continued efforts of regulatory agencies to reduce fraud, waste, and abuse.
- Identify the major laws and regulations addressing FWA such as, Medicare regulations on Part C & D, HIPAA, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statue, and others.
- Recognize conditions for participation in government funded programs for health providers.
- Define terms associated with FWA compliance like First tier, Downstream and Related entity.
- List the seven elements required for an approved compliance program.
- Recognize the consequences for non-compliance of program requirements.
- Identify FWA reporting procedures and reporting sites.
- Recognize protections under the Whistleblower Protection Act and the False Claims Act.
- List disciplinary actions and penalties for FWA violations.
- Explain the Exclusion List and the consequences of being on it.
- Identify record retention and attestation requirements for FWA compliance auditing.
- Identify other forms of health care fraud, waste, and abuse.
- List specific actions a pharmacist can take to prevent, identify, and correct FWA.
Release Date: 04/14/2021
Expiration Date: 04/14/2024