Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Date: 5/30/2023 - 5/30/2026
|NPTA Elite: INCLUDED IN MEMBERSHIP||Register
|NPTA CE Plus: INCLUDED IN MEMBERSHIP||Register
|NPTA insider/Non-Member: $15.00||Register
Contact Hours: 5.0
ACPE UAN: 0384-9999-23-021-H01-T
This CPE activity has been designated as a knowledge-based program.
Goals & Objectives:
At the completion of this activity participants should be able to:
- Identify a variety of environmental exposures that may predispose individuals to developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Inform about COPD features, including pathophysiology, presentation, risk factors, lung function trajectories, exacerbations, and comorbidities.
- Outline spirometry considerations regarding COPD, including its process, utility, application, and cautions.
- Provide an explanation of COPD symptom assessment, including GOLD ABE recommendations and how they are integrated with treatment.
- List pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic approaches to COPD treatment.
- Emphasize the importance of smoking cessation in COPD management. ?
- Discuss smoking cessation strategies and pharmacotherapy.
- Detail bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroids in COPD treatment.
- Apply guidelines for initial and follow-up COPD management.
- Highlight the importance of reviewing medication use at each patient visit (dose, inhaler technique, adherence, accessibility, adverse effects).
- Describe the importance of pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD management.
- Spotlight the role of oxygen and ventilatory support in COPD management.
- Name recommended vaccines for patients with COPD and their importance.
- Review less-common therapies for COPD that may be considered.
- Anticipate and address challenges of COPD management.
- Provide COPD self-management patient education (risk reduction, lifestyle, medication use, other treatments, breathing exercises, and action plan).
- Devise patient tactics for reducing risk and exposure to COPD irritants and aggravating factors.
- Explain the management of COPD exacerbations, including assessment, bronchodilators, corticosteroids, antibiotics, respiratory support, transitions of care, and hospital discharge follow-up.
- Speak on the significance of hospital readmission prevention of COPD exacerbations.
- Key in on benefits of COPD advance care planning and palliative support.
- Mention treatment options in patients with severe/advanced COPD.
- Touch on treatment approaches of future research interest.
- Address comorbidities which may overlap or influence COPD progression.
Release Date: 05/30/2023
Expiration Date: 05/30/2026